EcoLeaf environmental label uses the LCA method to quantitatively show the environmental information of products through life cycle stages from the extraction of resources to manufacturing, assembly, distribution, use, discarding and recycling.
The assessment regarding the best way for Japan to combat global warming was conducted in 1998 and the EcoLeaf environmental declaration was developed as the results of conclusions reached in discussion on what environmental declarations should be like in an environmentally friendly society.
It is Japan-based environmental declaration whose full implementation started in April 2002, which is in conformity to ISO type III environmental declarations (ISO14025).*
The EcoLeaf Program brochure is available as a PDF file.
The brochure is a handy reference guide that explains how our Type III eco-labeling program works. It provides an overview of EcoLeaf environmental declarations and includes valuable information on what information can be provided in the declaration, how to prepare them, and examples of successful applications.
*THE LETTER "E" BEFORE THE LAST THREE DIGITS IN ECOLEAF-ID INDICATES THAT THE DECLARATION IS CERTIFIED FOR AN EXPORTED ARTICLE. (PCR AND GENERIC DATA FOR CORRESPONDING JAPANESE MARKET PRODUCTs are tentatively allowed to be used for an exported article.)
- 1. Quantitative information declaration without judgment
- 2. Conformity to ISO 14020 series and ISO 14040 series(LCA methods).
- 3. Comparability of the declared contents, backed by set rules on data collection/processing, verification, and registration/publication called PCR (Product Category Rule)
- 4. Flexibility by optional certification program called "System Certification" to authorize label publisher's internal operation system for label publication (data collection/processing, verification, and registration/publication systems)
- 5. Objectivity of the declaration by independent verifiers appointed by JEMAI.
- 6. Readability in adding assisting summary information sheet of the LCA results with product summary called P.E.A.D.: Product Environmental Aspects Information Declaration
- 7. Accessibility to the declaration contents in offering whole EcoLeaf label contents: 3 sheets set per product in principle: See EcoLeaf website at http://www.ecoleaf-jemai.jp/eng/
- Certain aspects of points 1 to 3 above are basic characteristics of the Type III environmental declaration specified in ISO 14025, but points 4 to 7 are unique to this program.
- ・Used to promote a company, product or service that is actively managed in an eco-friendly way.
- ・EcoLeaf made sales activities easier when it was adapted to incorporate guidelines created by municipalities.
- ・Our sales division uses the Eco-Leaf label to highlight a product's unique features.
- ・The EcoLeaf label enables companies to compare our products (with regards to their environmental impact) and re-define the future goals for eco-product designs (DfE; Design for environment)
- ・We received a prestigious award from our president for promoting environmental awareness within the company.